A Classic AKG Condenser Mic Reborn!!
The AKG C 451B is a cardiod condenser microphone, designed for recording instruments with high transient response, and therefore popularly used for drum kit and percussion recording.
The C 451B features a light diaphram, minimizing handling noise, and a switchable 75Hz/150Hz highpass filter, eliminating low-end rumble. The High Pass filter enhances the "airy" character of the audio signal, and thus the microphone is a viable solution for overhead cymbal or hi-hat recording.
The C 451B provides a flat, on-axis frequency response, capturing the performance without any signal coloration. The microphone provides both 12V and 48V phantom power, with selectable 10dB/20dB pads included for better signal management.
- Cardioid condenser mic with outstanding transient response
- Frequency range 20Hz-20kHz
- Sensitivity 9 mV/Pa (-41dBV)
- Max. SPL 135/145/155dB (0/-10/-20dB)
- Equivalent noise level (CCIR 468-3) 29dB
- Equivalent noise level 18dBA
- Signal/noise ratio (A-weighted) 76dB
- Preattenuation pad 0dB, -10dB, -20dB selectable
- Bass filter flat, 12dB/octave at 75 or 150Hz, selectable
- Impedance <200 ohms
- Recommended load impedance >1000 ohms
- Supply voltage 9 to 52 volts phantom power
- Current consumption <2 mA
- 3-pin XLR connector
- Satin nickel plated finish
Cardioid Polar Pattern
The Cardioid pick up pattern is useful in situations where off axis leakage is a problem. The 451B attenuates around the off-axis (side) sections of the microphone resulting in a directional pick up pattern.
Switchable 10 dB or 20 dB pads increase the microphone's SPL capability when close-micing, high-energy sound sources or driving preamps or mixers with limited headroom.
Switchable Highpass Filters
Switchable highpass filters (75 Hz or 150 Hz, 12 dB/octave). High pass filters accentuate mid and high end pressence by eliminating unnecessary low end frequencies. Often used when recording cymbals on drum kits.
To eliminate the mechanical problems of screw on capsules, the 451B features a fixed capsule, designed after the classic CK 1.
Flat Frequency Response
Ruler-flat on-axis frequency response of 20 Hz to 20 KHz (± 1.5dB) assures accurate recordings without any added coloration.
- Transducer: Condenser
- Polar Pattern: Cardioid
- Frequency Response: 20 Hz - 20 kHz (+/-1.5dB)
- Dynamic Range (Typical): 117 dB Maximum (A-Weighted)
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio: 73 dB-A (A-Weighted)
- Maximum Input Sound Level
- 112 Pa = 135 dB (with 0 dB preattenuation)
- 355 Pa = 145 dB (with 10 dB preattenuation)
- 112 Pa = 155 dB (with 20 dB preattenuation)
- Power Requirements: 9 to 52v Phantom Power (to DIN/IEC 45 596)
- Output Impedance
- Less than 200 Ohms
- Recommended Load Impedance Greater than 1000 Ohms
- Output Connectors: XLR-3M Type
- Pad: Yes, Switchable to 0 dB, -10 dB, -20 dB
- Low Frequency Roll-Off: Yes, Switchable to Flat, 12 dB/Octave at 75 Hz or 150 Hz
- Dimensions: 6.3 x .75" (160.02 x 19.05mm) LxDiameter
- Weight: 4.4 oz. (124.67 g)