Extreme flexibility, signal quality, and precision control.
Since its introduction in the mid 1970's, the dbx160 series has been a very popular compressor. Solid construction, foolproof operation, great sound, at-a-glance metering and a bulletproof output stage, all contributed to its popularity with musicians, recording studios, consultants, installers and broadcast media production people.
The 160A from dbx is the latest generation of this family of compressor/limiters. It features switch-selectable OverEasy and Hard Knee compression curves, along with extremely wide-ranging threshold, ratio and output controls. True RMS level detection provides the most natural-sounding dynamics processing available, from subtle compression to "brick wall" peak limiting. The user can choose low ratios and OverEasy compression to transparently smooth out fluctuating vocal and instrumental levels, or use the Hard Knee compression and high ratios for absolute protection against overload distortion in digital recording, P.A. systems and broadcast signals.
The 160A's unique "INFINITY +" inverse-compression mode actually decreases the audio output level below unity gain when the input exceeds threshold, a real lifesaver for correcting overbearing vocal choruses and controlling runaway house mix levels. A detector input can be used with an equalizer for de-essing sibilant vocals and selectively smoothing out boomy notes on acoustic guitar and bass. Two units can be stereo-coupled to process an entire mix or a stereo microphone setup, without shifting the left/right image.
- Single channel compressor/limiter with detector input
- OverEasy or classic hard knee compression with program dependent attack and release times
- Exclusive Infinity+ compression allows negative compression
- Strappable with another 160A for true RMS stereo summing operation
- Dual RMS LED display monitors input or output and gain reduction over a wide range
- Function: Compressor/Limiter
- Number of Channels: 1
- 1 x XLR
- 1 x 1/4" TRS phone detector circuit
- 1 x XLR
- 1 x 1/4" TRS phone
- Maximum Input Level: 24dBu
- Compression Threshold: -40dBu to +20dBu
- Compression Ratio: Variable 1:1 to infinity:1 thru to -1:1
- Attack Time: Program dependent
- Release Time: Program dependent
- Gate Threshold: Not applicable
- Gate Rate: Not applicable
- Maximum Output Level: +24dBm
- Make-up Gain: -20dB to +20dB
- Frequency Response: 20Hz to 20kHz
- Dynamic Range: >113dB
- Noise: -96dB
- Dimensions (WxDxH): 19" x 6 1/2" x 1 3/4" (482 x 165 x 44 mm)
- Weight: 4.42 lbs (3 kg)
- Specialties: Strappable with another 160 for true RMS stereo summing operation