True dbx audio performance and reliability at the lowest possible cost.
The dbx 266XL Compressor and Gate features stereo operation with OverEasy compression, True RMS Power Summing, and XLR ins and outs. It also cuts no corners on visual feedback. The processor has a full complement of input/output metering as well as gain reduction metering and easy-to-read backlit switches.
The 266XL provides traditional dbx sonic quality and performance for the working musician, DJ, studio operator or anyone who needs a friendly compressor/gate to achieve quality compression, gating and downward expansion quickly and easily.
Most compressor/gates provide less than musical compression, coupled with gating that swallows transients—or closes early, cutting off decay and reverb tails. The superb engineering in the 266XL ensures that both its compression and gating provide versatility and excellent sonic performance in situations where other compressor/gates typically produce undesirable processing artifacts.
When using the 266XL's AutoDynamic Attack and Release controls, artists and engineers will find that the center settings deliver classic dbx compression, while the full control range produces voicings that extend from slow leveling to aggressive peak limiting.
The Auto Dynamic circuitry continuously adjusts the actual attack and release times to optimally match the program material. Since you aren't restricted to using the Attack and Release controls only in peak operation, you can tailor the response of the 266XL for individual tracks, mixed program material, special effects or system protection. As a result, you can use the versatile 266XL to replace multiple single-purpose limiters while sound reinforcement users can standardize on the 266XL for all of your applications.
The 266XL's advanced gate circuitry uses a completely new, program-dependent timing algorithm to produce ultra-smooth release characteristics—even with complex signals, such as voice or reverb decays. dbx engineers went on to take advantage of the wide dynamic range and high precision of the dbx VCA to design in an extra-wide threshold range and ensure top gating performance for each application.
Separate precision LED displays for gain reduction, compression threshold and gate threshold allow quick, accurate setup, while the 266XL's intuitive operation lets users easily smooth uneven levels, add sustain to guitars, squash drums or tighten up mixes. In Stereo couple mode, the Channel 1 controls become Master controls, and Channel 2 follows precisely to ensure a rock solid stereo image—even with high amounts of compression. Professionals and newcomers will find that the 266XL sets up rapidly and musically the first time it is used, and every time thereafter.
The dbx 266XL processor is the result of an intensive engineering and product development effort aimed at taking advantage of the latest and best advances in manufacturing technology to deliver true dbx audio performance and reliability at the lowest possible cost. The 266XL puts a completely new level of compressor/gate performance within everyone's reach.
- Goof-proof operation to smooth uneven levels,
- add sustain to guitars, fatten drums or
- tighten up mixes.
- Gate timing algorithms ensure the
- smoothest release characteristics.
- Program-adaptive expander/gates.
- Great-sounding dynamics control for any
- type of program material
- Separate precision LED displays for gain
- reduction, compression threshold and gate
- threshold allow quick, accurate setup
- Stereo or dual-mono operation
- Balanced inputs and outputs on 1/4" TRS
- and XLR.
- Side Chain insert.
- Classic dbx "Auto" mode
- Input Connectors: 1/4" TRS and XLR, Floating Balanced; XLR: Pin 2 hot Phone: Tip Hot HI
- Input Impedance: 40kΩ balanced/unbalanced
- Max Input: +22dBu
- CMRR: >40dB (Any Frequency)
- Sidechain: 1/4" TRS Phone, Normalled: Ring = Output (send); tip = Input (return)
- Sidechain Impedance: >10kΩ
- Sidechain Output Impedance: ≤2kΩ
- Sidechain Max Input Level: +21dBu
- Output Connectors: 1/4" TRS phone and XLR floating balanced, XLR: Pin 2 and Tip Hi
- Output Impedance: 200Ω balanced, 100Ω unbalanced
- Max Output: +21dBu into 600Ω
- Frequency Response: Flat: 20Hz-20kHz, +0, -0.5dB
- Noise: <-93dBu unweighted
- THD+Noise: Typically <0.2%; Any Amount of Compression @1kHz
- IMD: Typically <0.2% SMPTE
- Compressor Threshold Range: -40dBu to +20dBu
- Compressor Threshold Characteristic: Selectable OverEasy® or hard knee
- Compressor Ratio: 1:1 to Infinity:1
- Compressor Attack Time: Scalable program-dependent
- Compressor Release Time: Scalable program-dependent
- Expander/Gate Threshold Range: -60 to +10dB
- Expander/Gate Ratio: 1:1 to 4:1
- Expander/Gate Max Depth: >60dB
- Expander/Gate Attack Time: <100µs
- Expander/Gate Release Time: Adjustable, 30ms to 3sec (to 30dB attenuation)
- Limiter Threshold Range: 0dBu to +20dBu
- Gain Adjustment Range: Variable; -20dB to +20dB
- Interchannel Crosstalk: <-93dB @ 1kHz
- Dynamic Range: >114 dB, unweighted
- Stereo Coupling: True RMS Power Summing™
- Power Consumption: 15 Watts Maximum
- Dimensions: 1.75" x 19" x 6.75" (4.45 cm x 48.2 cm x 17.15 cm)
- Unit Weight: 5 lbs (2.3 kg)
- Shipping Weight: 7 lbs (3.2 kg)
- Reference: 0dBu = 0.775Vrms