The MO 2000 Set from Sennheiser is a specialty measurement microphone that can go where other microphones fear to tread. The microphone uses a light from an LED that is directed onto a reflective diaphragm. As the diaphragm is moved by sound signals, a displacement of the reflected light is read by a receiver waveguide, which in turn activates a photodiode that converts the light intensity variations into electric signals.
The advantage of this system is that microphone head and the electronics can be located far away from each other. Additionally, the component parts of the MO 2000 H acoustic-optical microphone head are made of a plastic material that is suitable for use in areas with aggressive substances, such as gases, and salts, or areas of high humidity and radiation. All components of the microphone head, including the optical waveguides, are free of metal with no electric current flow.
- Microphone that uses light from and LED to monitor the motion of the diaphragm
- Construction of microphone makes it possible to use the optical microphone in areas in which other microphones could not function
- In medical applications, the microphone is ideal for use in magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), for example to maintain communication with the patient during MRI scans or to achieve active noise cancellation in MRI. The optical microphone does not disturb the imaging process and is itself not influenced by the strong fields inside magnetic resonance imaging equipment
- In measuring technology, the microphone is ideal for use in EMI/EMC laboratories, as it does not influence the electric field. In this case, for example, it functions like an "ear on a mobile phone"
- A further application possibility is in the field of undetectable acoustic monitoring
- Transducer: Optical waveguide
- Polar Pattern: Omnidirectional
- Frequency Response: 20Hz to 40kHz (+/-0.6dB)
- Output Impedance
- 330Ω, asymmetrical
- 600Ω, symmetrical
- Dynamic Range (Typical): Not specified by manufacturer
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio: >50dB(A) related to 1 Pa sound pressure
- Maximum Input Sound Level: 134dB
- Power Requirements: 100~240VAC to 12VDC, 5.4W plug-in power supply with country adapters
- Output Connectors
- 1 x XLR balanced
- 1 x BNC unbalanced
- Pad: No
- Low Frequency Roll-Off: No
- Dimensions: Not specified by manufacturer
- Weight: Not specified by manufacturer